Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Having a Pity Party for me...

In high school I had a great friend named Heather, who would sometimes say "I'm having a pity party for me, wanna come?" It always made us laugh. Today I was feeling sorry for me...I don't have many friends here yet, and the days are just long. My depression prone brain wants to go for a pity party. I cleaned up the house intending to go for a walk and take Elizabeth to the park. But when I was finally ready to go all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and feel sorry for myself. So I did. I told God that I was sad. I wondered at His wisdom in placing me here, a people person, with out many people around. I thought of all the relationships I've built so far, and thanked God for them. I logically know that over time I will get to know more people, but in the mean time what do I do? A still small voice said--go for walks, even when you don't feel like it.

So I forced my self off the couch and out the door, Elizabeth in tow. She always lifts my spirits. It was great watching her try all four slides, and not show an ounce of hesitation. She is growing up! We tried the swings and even a bit of gymnastics (you know, balancing on the wooden barrier around the playground). That's when a little friend came and joined the fun. His name is Daniel. His family just moved here in April, and they don't have much family around. I enjoyed a pleasant conversation with his mom, Christy, while Elizabeth and Daniel chased each other around the playground. We exchanged phone numbers, and hope to get together to play again soon. On the walk home, I reflected on God's goodness, for pulling me out into the beauty of His creation, and allowing me to make a new friend.

No comments: